Keep Young Adults Covered on Parents' Plans Until Age 26: Dependents should be covered under their parents' plan until age 26.
Allow Free Market for Prescriptions: Overseas drug providers should be allowed to enter a free market.
Charge Same Premiums for Women and Men: The government should continue to require insurance companies to charge women the same as men.
Essential Health Benefits:
- All health insurance plans should include the following essential benefits:
- Prescription drugs
- Pediatric services (i.e., dental, vision, vaccinations)
- Pregnancy, maternity, and newborn care
- Transportation to emergency room
- Ambulatory patient services
- Preventive/wellness and chronic disease management
- Mental health and addiction services
- Laboratory services
- Rehabilitative and habilitative services and devices
Keep Ban on Lifetime Coverage Limits: Health insurance companies cannot set a dollar limit on what they spend on essential health benefits for their customers.
Health Savings Accounts:
- Health Savings Accounts will now:
- Include a one-time matching $1,000 tax credit
- Have a higher annual contribution limit
- Have the ability to be used with any type of health plan
- Be allowed to pay for health insurance premiums
- Be exempt from bankruptcy proceedings
Medicaid Expansions: Funding for Medicaid expansions should be remain as is.
Health Insurance Premium Subsidies: Health insurance subsidies should be income-based.
Help Pay for Out-of-Pocket Costs: People within certain income ranges should be able to apply for subsidies (cost-sharing reductions) to lower their out-of-pocket expenses (like copays and deductibles).
Make Insurance Premiums Tax Deductible: All non-employer-based health insurance plan premiums should be tax deductible.
Tax Benefits for Employer-Sponsored Coverage: Tax benefits for employer-sponsored coverage should remain as is.
Require Everyone to Have Health Insurance: The government should require all Americans to have qualified health insurance coverage.
Require Large Employers to Offer Insurance: The government should require employers with 50 or more full-time equivalent employees to offer qualified health insurance coverage.
Taxes to Fund Health Benefits:
- The following taxes should fund health benefits:
- Medicare surtax of 0.9% for high earners
- Medicare investment income tax of 3.8%
- Excise tax on "Cadillac" employer-sponsored health plans
- Medical device excise tax of 2.3%
- Excise tax of 10% on indoor tanning salons
Insurance Exchanges: Funding should stop for all government insurance exchanges.
Government Funding for Health Insurance Enrollment Assistance: America hasn't decided.
Require Healthcare Cost Transparency: The healthcare industry should be more transparent about the cost of medical services.
Require Doctor & Hospital Conflict Disclosures: Doctors and hospitals should be required to disclose all possible conflicts of interest to their patients.
Require Calorie Counts at Restaurants: Most vending machines and restaurants and fast food chains with at least 20 stores should be required to disclose the calorie counts of their menu items.
Combat Medical Professional Shortages: The government should continue to combat medical professional shortages and develop recruitment strategies.
Emphasize Quality Healthcare: The government should continue moving away from a fee-for-service system in favor of government incentives for providing quality care.
Sell Insurance Across State Lines: Insurance companies should be encouraged to sell across state lines.